Tuesday, March 27, 2018

To The People Who Constantly Put Us Down Because We Don't Have Children

I have never been very vocal about this aspect of my life. Not to anyone. I know for a fact that people around me assumed many different things. Some were even frank to ask, or rather proclaimed to our face their highest conviction about the joy of having children. And very few, showed concern and sympathy. But not from anyone I sensed a genuine understanding. Because in reality, I have finally come to terms, that no one would understand except those in the same situation.

I am a married woman with no children. That's that. Most people ask me (us) to keep on trying all possible options. Truth is, any couple who would really love to have children would do that. But there's so many things they don't understand. And the worst thing about that is they think they understand and they think they know everything. No they don't, and I wish they just stop.

I was hurt by a recent comment I received. "Nagpapayaman na lang kayo" I don't know how to say that in English (because it hurts so bad) and right this moment I honestly don't know how to say that in my local tongue, but it only means, there's nothing much left for me and my husband to do but accumulate wealth. Because we don't have children. 

You have no idea how much those words hurt. It's as if I am sentenced to death. It's as if that person told me I  can die anytime because my life has no purpose. To me it sounds like the only noble thing a woman can do is to bring a child in this world, other than that she is nothing. That the space these women occupy on earth is ever wasted until they decide to raise children. 

Look, there are many childless women, married or not, on earth. By choice or not, you have no right to judge them. Don't blame me if I have plenty of time to accumulate wealth and you don't, because even if I did not choose this kind of life, I have accepted the things in my life that are beyond my control and do everything I can to make this life worth living.  I know that I don't owe you an explanation, because I know your mind is closed by your own convictions. I pity you for your ignorance. That's all I can say.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading my blog and I love you for your comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...